Welcome to St Joseph’s Class Page!
Teacher – Miss Natalie Jones
Teaching Assistant – Ms Emma Barrett
Here in St Joseph’s class we start every day with Guided Reading. Thank you so much to the parents who come into hear us read. We could always do with some more help – so please don’t hesitate to let us know if you are able to help for 20 – 30 minutes any morning. Please contact Miss Jones if you would like to come in and listen to readers.
Miss Jones hasn’t told us what our topic will be after February half term. However, we have had a visit from Bristol Zoo which may give us some ideas of what it could be! We held Madagascan Hissing Cockroaches and touched a real snake as well as rats – we were very brave! Look at our photos below!
This term we have been learning all about ‘Where the Wild Things are’. Max has been very busy travelling all over the United Kingdom, sending us letters in different places so that we can guess where he has been! We have loved hearing all about his adventures. We can now describe the geographical features of a beach, forest and a river and have even made our own fact files!
Our topic this term is ‘Once Upon a time’ and we have been learning about The Three Bears and Rumplestiltskin. We have started by learning to retell the story so that we can write it using our best handwriting! We then changed the main characters to change our story!
We finished our topic by visiting Berkeley Castle – we had lots of fun!
- St Joseph’s homework will be set on a Friday, which will be Literacy or Numeracy based (linked to learning that week). All homework set is due in the following Wednesday so that it can be marked.
- In Year 1, the children will also have Spellings to practise. These will be set on a Friday read for a spelling test the following Thursday.
- PE will take place on a Thursday afternoon, please ensure school kit is in school. This includes black pumps, a house colour top and navy/black shorts.
- We would love all of the children within Saint Joseph’s class to read 5 times per week to an adult outside of school. (Everyone at home you are able to document this in the children’s yellow reading diaries). I will keep a close eye on this (on your child’s change day) and any children fulfilling this task will be rewarded with 1 privilege point.
- Mystery Reader takes place on a Thursday afternoon 2.50-3.10. It is a chance for you to read your favourite story to the class, but they do not know who the reader is each week. The sign up sheet is outside the classroom. Please feel free to sign up to a day of your choice. Shhhh remember it’s a secret!