St. Mary’s Class
Welcome to Saint Mary’s Class Page!
Teacher – Miss McCarthy
Teaching Assistant – Mrs Barron
Here in Saint Mary’s class we start every day with Guided Reading. Thank you so much to the parents who come into hear us read (we love showing off how good we are!). We could always do with some more help – so please don’t hesitate to let us know if you are able to help for 20 – 30 minutes any morning.
- Saint Mary’s homework will be set on a Friday, this will include: phonics worksheets in their pink homework books. These are the sounds that we have been learning in the week or previous. This all needs to be completed and handed back in on the following Wednesday.
- PE will take place on a Monday afternoon, please ensure school kit is in school. This includes trainers, a house colour top and navy/black shorts.
- We would love all of the children within Saint Mary’s class to read 5 times per week to an adult outside of school. (Everyone at home you are able to document this in the children’s yellow reading diaries). Both myself and Mrs Barron will keep a close eye on this (on your child’s change day) and any children fulfilling this task will be rewarded with 1 reading point.
- Mystery Reader takes place on a Wednesday afternoon 2.50-3.10. It is a chance for you to read your favourite story to the class, but they do not know who the reader is each week. The sign up sheet is outside the classroom. Please feel free to sign up to a day of your choice. Shhhh remember it’s a secret!
- Show and Tell takes place on a Tuesday afternoon and your child has been sent home with a rota for when it is their turn. Please send your child in with their show and tell on their day so we can share with the rest of the class.
Before we broke up for Christmas we came into school to find that snow had settled on the field and playground. It was a very exciting morning and we spent the morning running round in the snow and thinking about where snow comes from.
This term we have been looking at the story of the snowman. We have been writing letters to the snowman, learning the actions for the story and we have also been writing the story. We also had a very exciting week where we decided to make bracelets for each other. From this we developed the idea of a shop to sell this bracelets. We
We have been trying really hard with our writing and as you can see below we have produced some fantastic pieces of writing, using the sounds we have learnt in phonics to help with our writing. We have been very excited about the ‘Model Museum’ we have in the classroom. This allows us to show other children our models but also develops our writing by writing a label about our models. Please take a look at pictures from our ‘Model Museum’ below.
We have been working really hard on our counting this term. We have been learning to add and take away within numbers to 20 and do 1 more and 1 less within numbers to 20. We have enjoyed using different resources in the classroom to help with our adding and subtracting.